Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Google Yourself!

I've always been good at researching things on the internet. Some of my friends and co-wokers make fun of me because it seems like I can find anything online. Honestly though, it isn't that hard. A lot of things are really easy to find, because people don't seem to think about what they put out there.

So, I suggest that you google your name (or maiden name). This will show you what anyone can find out about you. Then you can work to erase the things you have out there that you don't want to be out there anymore. When I did this, I found some social media sites like Hi5 that I didn't use very much, but had some very public information that I didn't want out there. Luckily, I could sign in and delete my account. One was so old however, that I didn't have the email address that was used for the forget password, and I had to contact the company to get it deleted.

There are sites dedicated to finding information on people though. They could list your age, date of birth, town you live in, and your family members names. This is what creditors and scam artists use to find people. This is all on public record anyway though, so there isn't any need to try to find out how to get it removed from those sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment